Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Level 8 Cambridge House, No. 979 King's Road, Taikoo Place, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong
  • clients(at)opencompanyhongkong.com
  • (+44) 203-287 0408
Our Articles

Hong Kong Student Visa

Hong Kong Student Visa

Hong Kong is not only a well-known business destination. It can also be the location of chose for foreign nationals who wish to continue their studies. For this purpose, all non-local students admitted to a private school, or another recognized educational institution will need to apply for a Hong Kong student visa before they arrive in the Special Administrative Region.

In this article, our Hong Kong lawyers answer some of the most common questions about the student visa. Please keep in mind that this list is not an exhaustive one and that you may need additional information before you apply. If this is the case, you can reach out to our attorneys for complete assistance during the application process.

Who can apply for a Hong Kong student visa?

To apply for a student visa, the applicant needs to be admitted at a private school, a post-secondary education programme or full-time locally accredited local programme or another recognized educational institution. The University of Hong Kong can be choice for foreign nationals who choose to study here.

Different conditions can apply for Chinese residents of the Mainland China, Macao and Taiwan and, in some cases, to foreign nationals of Vietnam. Our attorneys in Hong Kong can help you with more details. 

What are the documents submitted for the student visa?

Each application for a Hong Kong student visa is issued based on submitting a number of key documents and forms. Our lawyers list the main ones below:

Please keep in mind that the documents may differ based on the applicant’s particular situation. We advise those interested to reach out to us for more details.

  • the application filled-in form for the student visa;
  • a photocopy of the applicant’s valid travel document;
  • the letter of acceptance issued by the educational institution;
  • proof of accommodation;
  • proof of financial means;
  • recent photograph;
  • for underage applicants: an authorization for guardianship form the parents (the guardian can be a relative, friend, or the sponsor).

In addition to the documents listed above, the sponsor (the educational institution or an individual nominated for this role) will also need to submit a number of documents. When the sponsor is an individual, he needs to be a Hong Kong resident, financially capable to support the applicant and over the age of 18.

Can I bring my family with me to HKSAR?

Foreign nationals admitted for full-time undergraduate or post-graduate programmes can bring their spouse or partner under a civil partnership (same-sex or opposite-sex civil partnership or union), as well as their unmarried dependent children (under the age of 18).

In these cases, the holder of the Hong Kong student visa will be the sponsor of the dependant. The relationship between the individuals needs to be a genuine one and the sponsor (visa holder) needs to be able to show that he or she can support the dependant (provide accommodation as well as provide living conditions above the subsistence level).

Studying in Hong Kong can open a number of opportunities in terms of employment. If you would like to know more about how to immigrate to Hong Kong, our lawyers can help you.

What is the processing time for a student visa?

Applications for a student visa should be made in such a manner that they will allow for sufficient processing time. Our team recommends to take into account the following:

  • processing time: in most cases, student visa applications are processed within 6 weeks of the receipt of all of the needed documents;
  • visa fee: the usual fee for an ordinary visa is $ 230, according to the Immigration Regulations;
  • visa extension: when the holder wishes to extend the visa, a fee of $ 230 applies;
  • others: when the applicant requires additional services, such as those needed for the renewal of a passport, the fee can be $ 260.

All of the fees above are expressed in Hong Kong dollars and may be subject to change.

The payment of the visa fee is made to the mission of the Immigration Division of the HKSAR Government abroad (in the applicant’s country).

We advise those interested in studying in Hong Kong to contact our attorneys in Hong Kong. With our help, you can make sure that the visa application (and the application for your spouse or dependents, if applicable) is duly submitted and that all of the needed documents are included.

Contact us if you wish to know more about the eligibility criteria for the Hong Kong student visa. The team of attorneys at our law firm in Hong Kong will be able to answer any questions about studying in HKSAR, as well as remaining here once you finish your studies.