Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Level 8 Cambridge House, No. 979 King's Road, Taikoo Place, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong
  • clients(at)opencompanyhongkong.com
  • (+44) 203-287 0408
Our Articles

Guide on Opening an Educational Center in Hong Kong

Guide on Opening an Educational Center in Hong Kong

Education businesses in Hong Kong

Schools, institutions or educational centers in Hong Kong can also be opened by foreign investors. The business field offers a number of possibilities and can target a wide range or individuals who are interested in learning and developing new abilities. An educational center can mean a kindergarten or school but it can also be an institution that provides classes and courses for adults

The Hong Kong Education Bureau oversees the development of the education system and the implementation of the relevant laws and regulations. There are three types of schools in the city: government schools, private international schools or subsidized schools.

Investors who want to open an educational center in Hong Kong must observe the regulations for obtaining special permits and licenses and must hire employees that are qualified in various areas of teaching. 

Special permits for education centers in Hong Kong

The experts at our law firm in Hong Kong can help you apply for and obtain the special permits and licenses for running an education business. The Education Bureau issues a “Certificate of Registration of a School” and it applies to any institution or establishment that provides formal education for more than 20 individuals per day or more than 8 people at a time. 

Investors who want to open a school or education center in Hong Kong will first need to incorporate a company and register it with the Companies Registry. Our lawyers can help you throughout this process. Next, the investor will need to purchase a suitable property that can act as the premises for the new school. These types of buildings are usually specially designed to be used as schools or education centers and they must comply with certain safety requirements. If the building was not initially a school, then the investor will need to obtain permits from the Land Registry, the Fire Department, and others.

Running an educational center in Hong Kong

The school owner will need to appoint a school manager: an individual that will oversee the functioning of the institution. This person must be a Hong Kong resident (for at least 9 months prior to receiving the job) and must be at least 18 years old.

Teachers in Hong Kong must be adequately qualified and those working in kindergartens and schools must also be registered with the Education Bureau.

The experts at our law firm in Hong Kong can help you apply for a School Registration Certificate and submit all the needed documents. These will include the application to register the school and its manager, copies of the school premises plan, information about the types of classes/courses, the syllabus, timetables, permits for using the premises and for serving food to children (if applicable) and other documents, as needed.

For more information about the education system in Hong Kong or how to invest in the city please contact our law firm.